Accéder au contenu principal

Doublure spéciale / Improv backing ✂️

3e semaine du challenge "30 jours d'impro". 
Il est temps de récapituler les blocs déjà faits.

Week 3 of the 30-Days of Improv Challenge. 
Time to recap the blocks already made.


⭐⭐✂️⭐⭐

Ce challenge est mené par Shannon et Amanda sur Instagram, avec chaque semaine l'annonce d'un thème et des consignes pour les 5 jours à venir. Oui, c'est repos samedi et dimanche !
J'avais annoncé le challenge un peu plus tôt, et il a commencé le 23 juillet avec le choix des tissus. Moi j'ai pris le train en marche à partir du 11 août, pendant la 2e semaine de couture. Le retard a été assez facile à rattraper, puisque j'avais déjà une idée bien précise des tissus pour le challenge, et comme je suis encore en vacances pour quelques jours, j'ai pu coudre, coudre, et coudre 😋

This challenge is led by Shannon and Amanda on Instagram, with each week announcing a theme and prompts for the next 5 days. Yes, it's off Saturday and Sunday!
I posted about the challenge a little earlier, and it began on July 23 with the fabric selection. I jumped on the adventure on August 11, during the 2nd week of sewing. It was easy enough to catch up, as I already had a clear idea of the fabrics I wanted to use for the challenge, and as I'm still on vacation for a few days, I was able to sew and sew and sew... 😋

Donc, commençons par le commencement : le choix des tissus.
Vous les reconnaissez ? Oui, ce sont bien ceux du quilt pour François, et pour cause : ces blocs que je vais faire pendant le challenge, je prévois de les assembler pour en faire le dos de son quilt. 
Deux raisons à cela : c'est la première fois que je fais ce type de challenge (de l'impro guidée) et quitte à expérimenter, autant que ces blocs servent à un projet ; ensuite j'en suis justement à cette étape, trouver un tissu pour le dos du quilt ; et enfin c'est une bonne opportunité pour en faire un quilt réversible ! Ah tiens, ça fait 3 raisons...
Autre détail : le nombre de blocs et leur taille. Pour le nombre c'est assez simple, il y a de quoi faire 5 blocs par semaine, pendant les 4 semaines de challenge = 20 blocs. 
Pour couvrir la surface du dos du quilt, ces 20 blocs devront faire environ 16'' x 19'' chacun. Soit 40,5 cm x 48 cm chacun. C'est énorme ! Un vrai challenge pour moi, qui fais plutôt des petits blocs habituellement, autour de 4'' => 10 cm !!

So, first things first: the fabric selection.
Do you recognize them? Yes, they're the same ones used for the quilt for François, and with good reason: these blocks I'm going to make during the challenge, I'm planning to assemble them into the backing for his quilt. 
There are two arguments for this: it's the first time that I'm doing this type of challenge (guided improv), and if I'm going to experiment, I might as well use these blocks for a project; secondly, I'm just at the stage of finding a backing fabric for the quilt; and lastly, it's a good opportunity to make a reversible quilt! Well, that's 3 arguments...
Another detail: the number of blocks and their size. For the number, it's quite simple: we are going to make 5 blocks per week, for the 4 weeks of the challenge = 20 blocks. 
To cover the surface of the quilt's back, these 20 blocks will need to be about 16'' x 19'' each. That's 40.5 cm x 48 cm each. That's huge! A real challenge for me, who usually makes small blocks, around 4'' => 10 cm!!

⭐⭐✂️⭐⭐

Formes de la 1ère semaine du challenge : rayures et rectangles
Shape of the week #1: stripes and rectangles

Semaine 1, lundi, bloc 1 / Week 1, Monday, block #1
Bloc simple pour l'échauffement, juste des bandes cousues les unes aux autres. J'ai pas mal utilisé les chutes que j'ai déjà mais en réduisant les bandes pour jouer sur leur largeur.

Simple warm-up block, just strips sewn together. I used some of the scraps I already had, but reduced the strips to play with their width.

⭐⭐✂️⭐⭐

Semaine 1, mardi, bloc 2 / Week 1, Tuesday, block #2
La consigne du jour : jouer encore plus sur les largeurs de bandes, de très fines à super larges. J'essaie d'utiliser le plus possible mes chutes, et de faire avec les morceaux que j'ai.
Ca commence à devenir amusant à faire !

Prompt of the day: play even more with the widths of the strips, from very thin to super-wide. I'm trying to use as much of my scraps as possible, and to work with the pieces I've got.
It's starting to become fun to do!

⭐⭐✂️⭐⭐

J'aime bien la coupe à main levée ! Au cutter rotatif, sans utiliser la règle, en tranchant rapidement de soi vers l'avant, ça va tout seul, et mes coupes sont même assez droites ! Bon, là il faut faire encore plus attention aux doigts et ne pas les laisser sur le chemin de la lame... (non non, ça ne sent pas le vécu, je tiens à mes doigts !) Ca demande une bonne coordination entre les deux mains 😄

I love freehand cutting! With the rotary cutter, without using the ruler, and cutting quickly from self to forward, it's easy, and my cuts are even pretty straight! But you have to be even more careful with your fingers, and keep them out of the way of the blade... (no, no, it doesn't smell like experience, I care about my fingers!) It requires good coordination between the two hands 😄
Cette fois-ci j'ai cousu plusieurs petites bandes les unes à la suite des autres, puis découpé certains de ces blocs en bandes dans l'autre sens pour faire des rayures. Intégrées avec d'autres bandes, voilà mes rayures encastrées dans de grosses bandes.
Un peu trop grosses quand même ces dernières bandes, et je trouve que l'angle en haut fait un peu vide. Allez hop, un coup de cutter rotatif, puis un autre, et voilà un bloc qui me plaît bien !

This time I sewed several small strips together, then cut some of these blocks into strips in the other direction to make stripes. Integrated with other strips, here are my stripes embedded in large strips (boy, that's a lot of strip/stripes words!).
A bit too large these last strips, though, and I think the top corner looks a bit empty. So here we go, one rotary cutter slice, then another, and here is a block I like!
Semaine 1, mercredi, bloc 3 / Week 1, Wednesday, block #3 
C'est mieux, non ?
It's better, right?

⭐⭐✂️⭐⭐

C'est probablement ce que je préfère dans l'improvisation jusque-là : prendre un bloc fini, mais qui n'a pas le petit quelque chose qui fait qu'on l'aime, et le couper pour l'améliorer. Celui-ci c'est donc le bloc 1 (instructions de lundi), un bloc plutôt bof. Coupé en deux il est déjà plus intéressant !

That's probably my favorite thing about improv so far: taking a finished block that doesn't have that little something that makes you love it, and cutting it to make it better. This one, then, is Block 1 (Monday's prompt), a rather boring block. Cut in two, it's a bit more interesting!
Semaine 1, jeudi, nouveau bloc 1 / Week 2, Thursday, new block #1
  
⭐⭐✂️⭐⭐

Avec l'autre morceau coupé, je peux utiliser un bloc de rayures fait plus tôt, et quelques autres bandes. Et puis tiens, coupé encore une fois, il me plaît bien ! En plus, hasard heureux, la bande grise oblique se connecte parfaitement 😍

With the remaining cut piece, I can use a block of stripes made earlier, and a few other strips. Well, cut again, I like it! In addition, by happy coincidence, the diagonal grey strip connects perfectly 😍
Semaine 1, jeudi, bloc 4 / Week 1, Thursday, block #4

⭐⭐✂️⭐⭐

Utilisation pour ce bloc de quelques bandes de rayures, des bandes plus ou moins fines, et beaucoup d'espace autour.

This block uses a few stripes, more or less thin strips, and a lot of negative space around them.
Semaine 1, vendredi, bloc 5 / Week 1, Friday, Block #5

⭐⭐✂️⭐⭐

Voilà mes 5 blocs de la première semaine du challenge :
Here are my 5 blocks from the first week of the challenge:

⭐⭐✂️⭐⭐

Je pensais faire un seul article pour les 3 semaines, mais celui-ci est déjà assez long. 
A demain pour la suite !

I thought I'd do just one post for all three weeks, but this one is long enough already. 
See you tomorrow for the second week!

-------------------------------------------------
👀 Rejoignez-moi du samedi au mercredi pour la Patchwork & Quilts link partie
Join me from Saturday to Wednesday for the Patchwork & Quilts link party 👀
-------------------------------------------------


Commentaires

Liz A. a dit…
Those are looking great. I hope you're enjoying the technique.
la tulipe a dit…
J'avais loupé cet article. Réussite totale dès tes débuts en improvisation!!!
piecefulwendy a dit…
You are definitely getting the improv technique! Your blocks look great! My favorite part of improv is that no block is ever ruined. If you don't like it, make a cut and add something to it.
Kathleen a dit…
I love seeing how people play with improv and I love that you have a plan for using them. I am hoping to hop on the next one of these.
Marie-Francoise de Lille a dit…
Tu as bien pris le train en marche. Bravo pour tes blocs d'improv
Michelle a dit…
I admire your talent and patience with quilting. My grandmother was a very talented quilter and I don't have the patience for it! Thank you for linking up and I hope to see you back again.
Debbie a dit…
I love your collection of blocks. So glad you joined in the challenge.
It looks like you're having fun with the improv techniques, Frederique! Great idea to play with these pretty fabrics and use what you make for a quilt backing!
Anonyme a dit…
Wow! What a great way to use leftovers and make a two sided quilt! Your blocks are terrific! I liked each one!--TerryK@OnGoingProjects
Woooow, love the look & colors!!!
Looks like you're having fun with these! I have yet to try it but maybe someday? It seems like a mix of solids and prints, or just all solids, works best (I like your fabric choices!) and I typically don't have solids unless they are background colors but maybe I can make that work.
Carolyn a dit…
Interesting blocks, and I love the pretty fabrics!
Bonjour Frédérique, j'aime bien tes blocs - et j'aime beaucoup prendre le rotary cutter à des blocs pour les refaires. Amuses-toi bien.
These look fantastic. Thank you for sharing these at Handmade Monday.
Wow, they look great! I haven't done improv quilting really... I should try one day! Thanks for joining in on Monday This and That! xx
Frederique' what FUN improv blocks and what a great argument to actually have a plan to use them as a backing! Great idea. I've never tried improv but I love the look and the thought of using scraps!! Thanks for sharing with Monday Musings!